Saturday 21 July 2012

Making Progress

Sometimes a new task makes me feel as though I am getting somewhere. There are only so many hours in the day and it is difficult to remain positive when all you can see are jobs that need doing. At the moment my daughter Catherine and I are building the enclosure for the goats. This involves 50 metres of 1.5 meter high wire fencing and around twenty five 2 metre posts. The heat means that we have to stop in the middle of the day as it gets too hot to work. We are however getting there and it is a great feeling to look at the posts from the bedroom window. Visible progress hurrah.

As part of the redesign of the enclosures the turkeys are currently free range and loving it. They have grown quickly and are very friendly and interested in all we do. This includes inspecting all of the post holes for edible titbits and filling them in again by scratching. I don't know how I would manage without their help!

For the first time the flower seeds we scattered in spring are starting to look flowery. It looks as though it was meant and they seem to be withstanding the regular assault from chickens and ducks. In my fantasy I have a low maintenance cottage garden. Lots of bees and butterflies, scents and colour, rich and fertile and intoxicating to the senses. The reality of course comes with brambles and nettles and chicken dust baths.

No comments:

Post a Comment